VS VB6 VB5 VBA
The feature allows you to find all the occurrences of a string in the source code or text files of your project(s). There are several improvements in this feature over the feature provided by the IDE:
- The window (shown below) selects the proper scope of the search automatically, saving you the hassle of selecting it manually. For example, the window can detect if you are searching occurrences of a parameter and then it sets the scope automatically to the current method.
- It allows you to exclude occurrences in comments or literals.
- It allows you to search in a subset of projects or files.
- It allows you to search multi-line expressions, using the button.
- The results are shown in a multi-tabbed Result window which groups results by file, parent code element, etc. and allows you to store previous searches, to remove results from the list, to re-execute the search, etc.
offers the following ways to find text in your source code:
- The menu.
- The menu entry on the context menu of a code window.
- The button on the toolbar.
- In , the keyboard shortcut associated with the command.
- In , the keyboard shortcut associated with the feature.
The window is the following:
You can use the following search options:
- : to consider or ignore the case.
- : to find whole words or to include also substrings.
- : to ignore occurrences inside comments.
- : to ignore occurrences inside literals.
- or : this setting (that depends on the IDE) allows you to use the characters "?" and "*" as wildcards or regular expressions. When you select one of these options, you can use the button to insert the wildcard or regular expression. See Wildcards, Regular Expressions (Visual Studio) and Regular Expressions (.NET). For VB/VBA, the .NET regular expressions are supported.
Also, you have the following output options:
- : this setting allows you to choose if you want to reuse the last result tab or to use a new one.
- : if this setting is not checked, code elements are not shown in the output, only the file where the result was found is shown; if the setting is checked, parent code elements (class, method, etc.) where the result was found are shown too.
Once you have performed the search, the Result Window allows you to replace the found text with another text in some or all of the occurrences, or to delete the whole line where the text has been found. To do this:
- Show the panel by clicking the button.
- Select the option to replace the found text with another text, to replace the whole line where the text was found with a different line that you can compose, or to delete the whole line.
- Select whether or not to keep open the modified documents.
- Click the button to replace the selected node (with its children) or the button to replace all nodes. When a found text of a node is replaced, the node is removed from the list.
- In , this feature does not work with Web Forms or HTML pages in , it only works in .
Find Text Options
Regular Expressions (Visual Studio)
Regular Expressions (.NET)
Keyboard Shortcuts Options